Obviously there is overlap between the categories, so base it off of your child’s abilities. Don’t be afraid to introduce something early and if they aren’t interested, set it aside and try again in a few weeks. We do expect kids to continue to use the items from the earlier lists too. Most of our toys we choose for longevity!
FAVORITES FOR 0 – 8 MONTHS
- Stacking cups
- Foam blocks (solid colors means children can assign their own meaning to block, soft so don’t hurt)
- Cars / trains
- Play phones (rings when you open and close it!)
- Music Kit (or here or here) use instruments suitable for age and add-in as your child grows
- Wood Stackers (here too)
- Colored scarves
FAVORITES FOR 8 – 18 MONTHS
- Shape sorters (or here)
- Large knob puzzles (look for puzzles with colored in picture on the board itself so it’s easy to match where the pieces go)
- Play kitchen, pots and pans and food (ikea also has great inexpensive sets and a kitchen)
- Tea party set
- Stroller and baby doll
- Dress up! Hats, necklaces, purses, colored scarves
- Animal figures (especially the families of animals)
FAVORITES FOR 18+ MONTHS
- Legos Duplo
- Dress up! Costumes, doctor coats, fireman, pirates, princess dresses, ballerina
- Puzzles – increasing difficulty with skill of your child
- Board games (candy land, sequence for kids, memory) starting about 2.5/3yo. Sequence has great chips you can use for other things, and the cards work for memory too!
What are some of your favorites? We’d love to hear.